Welcome to my blog. I was inspired by the book, "Blogging for Bliss" by Tara Frey.

Welcome to my blog. I was inspired by the book, "Blogging for Bliss" by Tara Frey. My goal is to share a little about my life, and a lot about my longarm quilting business, Lone Tree Designs.

Friday, January 6, 2012

Free Motion Quilting Rocks!

There is nothing like the feeling of completing a quilt and knowing that it looks great!  Sometimes, when I am first thinking about what to do on a quilt, I start to second guess myself and worry that it won't look good.  However, usually if I just look at the quilt a while and then go away from it, the quilt will "tell me" what to do to make it look great.  Often, my customers are looking for "quick and cheap" which is really sad because the quick and the cheap don't generally translate into a beautiful quilt.  I love it when a customer asks me to do "whatever the quilt tells me" because I can then feel free to make it look wonderful, even if it takes a bit longer and costs a bit more.  These quilts were all belonging to the same person, and she told me to do whatever I wanted to do.  I used a combination of free-motion and template work to enhance the piecing that she did.  Free-motion work allows me to work quicker than using stencils and lots of templates, which translates into a less expensive bill for my customers.  I love the heirloom work that some quilters do, but my preference is definitely leaning toward free-motion.  Using creativity and skill allows a unique look for every quilt.  I don't have a computerized system, and I don't think I will ever invest in one.  To me, the artistry would then be gone.  In my opinion, free motion quilting that relies on the quilter will always be my standard! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time from your busy life to comment on my blog!