Welcome to my blog. I was inspired by the book, "Blogging for Bliss" by Tara Frey.

Welcome to my blog. I was inspired by the book, "Blogging for Bliss" by Tara Frey. My goal is to share a little about my life, and a lot about my longarm quilting business, Lone Tree Designs.

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Must We Always Finish "Well"?

  It is so easy to start.  Isn't it?  We all have the best of intentions and the newness and excitement that comes from beginning something new.  However, we do not all manage to keep that sense of excitement until we finish.  Why is that, do you suppose?
  Whether it is a new exercise and diet program, a new found sense of faith, a New Year's resolution to "do more of _______" or "do less of _______"--we just seem to have trouble sticking with something to the bitter end.
  Quilting is no different, at least for me.  I started the quilt in this post nearly 7 years ago.  It isn't big...just about 64 X 72.  Why did it take me so long?  Well, for one thing, I lost the original thrill after I chose the fabrics and started to make umpteen little Thangles triangles.  For another, I didn't like the way it was supposed to be set on point because I ended up not liking the setting fabric I had chosen.  Finally, I got caught up in many, many other projects that took my time and attention.  So, why did I finally finish this quilt, which is called "Hide and Seek" because of all the little koi swimming through the fabrics and quilted into the quilting.  I finished it because I am trying to be better about finishing some of my older projects.  I added it to my list of 12 items (1 per month) that my friends in my Facebook quilting group have used as a challenge to each other to work on our projects.  I finished it because I was tired of looking at it sitting half done on a shelf.
  Guess what?  I like it!  I didn't set it on point.  I didn't use that setting fabric that I didn't like.  I finished it--not quickly, and maybe not even as well as I could have had I found a new setting fabric and put the blocks on point as the pattern suggested.  The points don't match up as well as they should because they were never meant to match up.  They were meant to be set apart by large squares of fabric where their points would not touch at all.  Is it finished "well"?--some might say, "no."  I say:   "Sometimes just finishing at all is enough."

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sandi! I am also on the 50-state blog hop (thanks for already visiting my blog and commenting). I, too, will eventually get around to everyone's blog. I took a look at some of your recent posts, and I like your blog. I also like gray fabrics, for example. I'm really not very "competitive" either, as another example, but I did enter the quilt that you commented on to hang in the upcoming Salt Lake City HMQS show. I'm curious to know what the judges say--I already know where certain room for improvement can be made, but I'm curious to see if they will have more to say.

    Finishing "well"....yes, some would say, if it's finished, it's finished well. I think: if it's finished AND YOU LIKE IT, then it's finished well! So well done!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time from your busy life to comment on my blog!