Welcome to my blog. I was inspired by the book, "Blogging for Bliss" by Tara Frey.

Welcome to my blog. I was inspired by the book, "Blogging for Bliss" by Tara Frey. My goal is to share a little about my life, and a lot about my longarm quilting business, Lone Tree Designs.

Wednesday, July 4, 2018

It's Wedding Season!

<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/6553897/?claim=pvjurakaxjz">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

 

It's that time of year.  Nothing says "wedding quilt" like a Double Wedding Ring.  I have had the privilege over the years to work on some very beautiful quilts.  When summer wedding season rolls around, I almost always end up with at least one Double Wedding Ring, and more often these days a close variation (but so much faster and easier to make) the Metro Rings by Sew Kind of Wonderful.  These quilts are always so pretty and such fun to work on.
  So, what makes a successful wedding ring quilt?  
The key is CONTRAST!  Color is irrelevant. The only thing that really matters is that there is plenty of contrast between the background and every single fabric in the rings of the quilt.  If that all important contrast is not there, the rings "flash" in and out, and the overall desired effect is less striking that it should be.
  The pictures I am sharing today are from a simple, traditional, scrappy ring quilt.  This quilt was perfectly pieced, and a joy to work on.  I can only imagine that among all the scraps in this quilt were some pieces that had sentimental value to the grandma who made it and to the lucky granddaughter who was to receive it at her wedding this past June. 

 The Sew Kind of Wonderful pattern Metro Rings is a much simpler way to achieve the look of a double wedding ring.  This golden version that I quilted for a customer for her son's wedding is a gorgeous interpretation of that pattern.  Using the Quick Curves Ruler, a jelly roll, and this pattern, a lap size quilt can easily be put together in a week or two.  I teach classes on this technique, and while it is not necessarily a beginner pattern, with guidance it can be done by a confident beginner.  There are youtube videos to walk you through the process, too.
  Again, as we look at this Metro Rings quilt, notice the contrast.  The maker had some concerns that some of her fabrics were too light.  She even considered taking it apart and putting in something different in those spots!  Yikes!  I assured her that where the contrast was just a little bit light, I could use quilting to make sure that the eye did not get lost This quilt turned out so lovely!  I know that the young couple that received it for their wedding gift will cherish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time from your busy life to comment on my blog!