Welcome to my blog. I was inspired by the book, "Blogging for Bliss" by Tara Frey.

Welcome to my blog. I was inspired by the book, "Blogging for Bliss" by Tara Frey. My goal is to share a little about my life, and a lot about my longarm quilting business, Lone Tree Designs.

Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Merrily I Row Along (Year Three)

Quilt-n-Bee in Traverse City, MI
  Last week, the hubby and I went on a lovely trip to Michigan.  Whenever we travel, I want to see as much of our wonderful country as possible, and learn new some new things.  This trip was an opportunity to go to Michigan for the first time.  I learned and saw a lot of new things!  For example:
1.  Wisconsin loves the color Barn Red, and it's named that for a reason!  Lots of red barns in Wisconsin!
2.  Mackinaw City ends in "aw" while Mackinac Bridge and Mackinac Island end in "ac"---however, they are all pronounced as if they end in "aw"!  Who knew?
3.  The Caribbean is not the only place in the world to find beautiful Caribbean blue water.  Lake Michigan has it's share of gorgeous water in the shallow areas around Traverse Bay.
4.  Independent quilt shop owners and employees are the friendliest people in the country!
5.  The diversity of people and landscapes in this land of ours never ceases to amaze me.  We are truly blessed!


  I timed the trip to coincide with the end of the annual Row by Row Experience.  We drove through Iowa, dropped down into Illinois to pick up a really cute license plate, drove through Wisconsin via Beaver Dam to Nancy's Notions, of course, and finally, headed into Michigan.
  Now, the hubs is a patient man.  He lets me plan the trips, and he doesn't mind stopping at quilt shops along the way, so for the weeks leading up to the trip, I did my research using the Row by Row website to find cute plates and rows, and to coordinate my travel plans to pick up as many as I felt would be reasonable.  My final number of shops? TWELVE!  I found the website for the Row by Row to be easy to navigate and invaluable in my trip planning.  Be sure to check it out next year before you travel anywhere!

 One of the highlights of the trip was a stop at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore.  The visitors center in Empire, MI is privileged to have the award winning art quilt from the ArtPrize contest by Ann Loveless in 2013.  She was the first ever quilt artist to win the top honor. She has since won a second time, and is the only person to ever win the contest more than once! Her work has opened up the world of quilting as a true art form and has really been instrumental in opening the general public's eyes to the fact that quilts are, in fact, an art.
Needless to say, I collected lots of rows to add to my previous two years' of collections.  At this point, I have way more rows than I could ever put in one quilt.  Some of the rows will make really cute "stand alone" wall quilts, and some of them probably won't make the cut at all.  One of these days, I will have to sort through them all and make a plan, but for now, I am just enjoying the hunt!

2 comments:

  1. Dying to know what the really cute license plate from Illinois is.

    I was very privileged to have taken a class from Ann Loveless a couple of years ago. It involved the Mackinac Bridge (a.k.a. the Big Mac). I believe her DH is a photographer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right! Her DH is also a photography, and I believe the only photographer ever to also win ArtPrize! The plate that I had to have was from Galena, IL, an absolutely fabulous, charming little town! What a pleasant surprise to arrive in a quaint little touristy river town that reminded me of Gatlinburg, TN with so many cute shops lining the main street. One of those shops was Phat Quarters, a small quilt shop. Their license plate ready, "Phat not Fat"...now I know from my kids that PHAT means, "Pretty Hot and Tasty" and I just thought that was so funny. The lady working in the shop said they chose it because it means something tempting. Well, they tempted me off the shortest route into a detour that we thoroughly enjoyed. I had a wonderful latte just a few doors down, and also went into a great little yarn shop. If you are anywhere near Galena, IL...make it a priority to stop there!

      Delete

Thank you for taking time from your busy life to comment on my blog!