Welcome to my blog. I was inspired by the book, "Blogging for Bliss" by Tara Frey.

Welcome to my blog. I was inspired by the book, "Blogging for Bliss" by Tara Frey. My goal is to share a little about my life, and a lot about my longarm quilting business, Lone Tree Designs.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Why Should I Join a Guild?

President's Quilt 2015
  There are a lot of quilters out there that don't belong to a guild.  When I ask them to visit the guild or join the guild, I often hear, "I am too busy."
  The thing is, we are ALL too busy.  So, why should a busy person add one more thing to their calendar just to be a part of a local quilt guild?  I have a few reasons:

1)  It's cheap entertainment!  For only around $20, you can attend programs that often include quilt shop owners, trunk shows, and even lessons by fellow members.  For those that meet 10 times a year, that's only $2 for a fun evening out.

2)  It's a great way to meet those with a similar interest.  There are no people like quilt people!  They are some of the kindest, friendliest people that I have ever enjoyed spending time with.

3)  It's such a good opportunity to learn new things.  Lessons on techniques, trunk shows that have lots of variety of color and style, and quilt shop owners who come to share "what's new" all give the guild members a chance to learn.

(4)  Charity- Quilt guilds all over the country are involved in a myriad of charity projects.  Everything from Quilts of Valor to Quilts for Kids to Project Linus to pillow cases for local hospitals are made by generous quilters.  If you would like a chance to "give back" but don't know where to start, I will guarantee that your local quilt guild will have lots of ideas for you.

(5)  Last but not least, your local guild affords you an opportunity to share what you know about quilting with others.  Are you an accomplished piecer?  Others would love to have your expertise!   Do you have a gift for choosing colors that look fabulous together?  Someone else needs your help! Would you like to show the public some of the beautiful quilts that you have created?  What better way than a local quilt show or bed turning?

There are many other reasons to join your local quilt guild.  Most guilds only meet once a month, so it really isn't a huge time commitment.  If you can't be at every meeting, it is still nice to pay your dues and go when you can.  Lots of guilds have opportunities for small groups, and they are a wonderful way to get to know fellow quilters better.  It really is worth paying to belong and carving out time to attend guild meeting!  I haven't even mentioned bus trips or retreats...those are stories for another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time from your busy life to comment on my blog!