Welcome to my blog. I was inspired by the book, "Blogging for Bliss" by Tara Frey.

Welcome to my blog. I was inspired by the book, "Blogging for Bliss" by Tara Frey. My goal is to share a little about my life, and a lot about my longarm quilting business, Lone Tree Designs.

Sunday, June 1, 2014

My First Overnight Quilt Retreat


I just returned from my first overnight quilt retreat!  It was a smashing success, in my opinion.  We traveled a few hours away to Creston, IA where we met up with 17 great women from that quilt-crazy state.  Did you know that their Shop Hop lasts an entire month (June) and includes 94 shops?  Between 30 and 35 women from Nebraska and Iowa joined together to sew, chat, learn from one another, and just work for almost four full days.  I spent 15 hours at the retreat center on Saturday alone!
A big shout out goes to our host, Joyce Franklin from the Quilts and Other Notions Quilt Shop and Creative Center for accommodating such a rambunctious group of women! The quilt shop is fabulous with a huge selection, and Joyce and her staff are helpful, friendly, and full of great ideas.  The Creative Center is like a mini art gallery showcasing several of Joyce's art quilts.  It is not to be missed.  Be sure, if you are anywhere near the area, to stop by and check it out.  Creston welcomed us, housed us, and fed us (way too much).  Right across the street from the beautiful train depot building, we had delicious coffee each morning (truly the BEST latte I have had in quite awhile). Delicious desserts, coffee, meals, and even clothing and shoe shopping are all within easy walking distance of the shop.
  We were delighted on Saturday by a surprise visit from Tony Jacobson of Fons and Porter.  Tony teaches classes at the Creative Center, and he was there to see Joyce.  We were lucky enough to get to see what he has been working on lately.  He kindly gave me permission to include his photo, with one of his gorgeous quilts.

 I gave a demo on Saturday talking about ideas for 10 inch squares, since we had each brought either a black or yellow 10 inch square to exchange.  I haven't counted, but I should have at least 30 squares to work with to make a project to remember the retreat.

I made a new friend, met lots of fun ladies, got to know some women I already knew from Kearney a little bit better, and finished or progressed on several projects.  Did I mention there was wine and chocolate???




4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a ball, so glad. Maybe you could show your 10" sq. ideas at PPQ sometime?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I could do that as a part of my trunk show next February. I should have all of my samples made and quilted by then:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was nice to meet you, Sandi. It was a fun retreat, even though we were able to stay only 24 hours. Great ideas for those 10" squares, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Lois! It was so fun to put faces with names:) I hope to see you again next year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time from your busy life to comment on my blog!