Welcome to my blog. I was inspired by the book, "Blogging for Bliss" by Tara Frey.

Welcome to my blog. I was inspired by the book, "Blogging for Bliss" by Tara Frey. My goal is to share a little about my life, and a lot about my longarm quilting business, Lone Tree Designs.

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Jumping on the Chevron Bandwagon



 Okay, I will be the first to admit that when I started seeing chevron patterns in quilts and in fabrics, I wasn't a fan.  However, the look has really grown on me over the past year.  I quilted a quilt for a 4-H girl last summer that had Dresden Plates made out of  the brights on whites chevrons from Riley Blake.  I must admit that it was a very cool quilt.  She got a Reserve Grand Champion ribbon on that quilt at the NE State Fair, and I really wish now that I had taken a picture of it!
  The quilt pictured above is a very simple chevron baby quilt made out of easy half square triangles in pinks and grays.  It was really fun and turned out so nice with the simple quilting that I put on it for my customer.  Anyone could accomplish the straight line quilting with some patience and a walking foot.  I did use a serpentine line on the seam lines to add variety and to strengthen the seams to withstand plenty of washing since it was a baby quilt.  The blocks were about 5 inches finished, but you could easily make your half squares from 5 inch charm squares, being careful to make sure that the layout had strong light rows and dark rows so that you would see the chevron pattern.  This quilt reminded me of the afghans that my mom and I used to make.  Hmmm...maybe I should dig those out of the closet.  Everything old is eventually new again!

2 comments:

  1. I love this! The pinks and greys look very pretty together. I am also not exactly crazy about chevrons though I did a red and white chevron quilt a few years ago with red & white squares that come from an international fabric swap. It is one of my favorite quilts and I had no idea when I made it that I would love it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been inspired to make a chevron quilt like this the next time I need a baby quilt. It would work in any color combination!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time from your busy life to comment on my blog!